Toucan

Toucan

Monday, March 12, 2012

Republican Politicians

This is my first political blog. To people who know me, having a blog and never commenting on the political scene may seem surprising. After all, I majored in Government in college, had a summer internship with a New York congressman, worked in the Koch administration for several years (in a non-political position),and follow the news passionately. I think my reticence derives from all the passionate noise I hear lately, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, as William Faulkner wrote, and not wanting to add to the din.

Anyway, here goes. I am appalled at the Republicans and what they are doing. It has nothing to do with my being a life-long Democrat. Some politicians I most admire were Republicans, such as Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and more recently, Senators Everett Dirksen, Howard Baker and Lindsay Graham.

My objection stems from their obstructionism and hypocrisy. Regarding the former, I do not think it is OK to block action in Congress on almost any matter simply to make a Democratic president look bad. That is what they are doing, and as an American first and foremost, I consider this to be cynical, destructive behavior. The hypocrisy part is that they are intelligent people and, when you look closely, it is obvious they treat themselves differently. For example, I have yet to hear the Republicans in Congress say that they would be delighted to ditch their own gold-plated health plans provided by the US Government and accept the eviscerated health care plans they are attempting to foist on 99% of the American people. To top it off, they raise smoke screen issues like contraception and prayer in school to distract the American people from the real issues facing them at a critical time.

It amazes me how many Americans seem to be seduced and misled by these false prophets and their "concerns" which to me have as their primary and sometimes sole objective to garner financial support from special interests and ensure their continued tenure in political office. No wonder moderate Republican Senators like Evan Bayh and Olympia Snowe a leave their seats and retire. To be fair, many Democrats these days are also problematic, but I think the Republicans in general are far worse.

My main reason in writing these words is to express the (vain?) hope that America will wake up and insist upon the election of good, moderate, pragmatic leaders from both parties who have the nation's best interests at heart and will restore our pride and achievement. This may be far too idealistic to expect when big money has so poisoned our political well that it is sometimes hard to differentiate us from some countries around the world that would never be thought of in the same way before.

When I watch the Republican presidential candidates on TV, I daydream a little. Mitt Romney, except for the dog on top of the car thing, strikes me as intelligent, steadfast and pragmatic, if only he could say what he really believes. Rick Santorum seems very appealing personally, and if what came out of his mouth didn't spoil everything, I could understand why his support is rising. Though I would not vote for him, Newt Gingrich has a certain rogue appeal. Lastly, Ron Paul seems sincere and lovable. But I digress.

The needs of the people are all that matter, and obviously many millions today are in dire need of assistance. Sadly, the Republicans are capable but not stepping up to the challenges. I wish it were otherwise and I was in a position to consider voting for a Republican for President.

No comments:

Post a Comment