Toucan

Toucan

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Further Adventures With Medea

Despite over 20 years' experience with dogs, I'm still getting used to my latest animal friend, the little black cat named Medea owned by my neighbor. After discovering her true home was right next door, I resolved never to feed her so her loyalty would not be in doubt. Notwithstanding strict adherence to this policy, which is not easy given the close linkage in my ethnic background between food and love, I have managed total compliance. Contrary to my expectations, Medea still returns every day and continues to spend most of her time in our backyard, with occasional visits inside.

Whenever I open our backdoor, Medea appears at the threshold within a couple of minutes. The back door is made of wood that expands in hot weather, so Medea can hear the door jerk open; she doesn't need to keep an eye on the entrance. She languidly arises from under the same bush on the left side of the yard, which provides dappled sunlight and some comfy grass and leaves on the ground, and strolls over for some extended petting and rubbing. The sound cats make when they are contented, like a low rumble from a well-tuned car engine, is audible non-stop.

On occasion, Medea decides to step inside. She's not looking around for food, since there isn't any. Instead, what Medea seeks is a moment when I'm not looking so she can quickly and silently rush up the stairs and explore the rest of the house. She has done this maneuver almost every time I drop surveillance to have a cup of coffee and read the newspaper at the kitchen table. What is so compelling a draw for her I just don't understand. I've heard the expression-- "Curiosity killed the cat"-- so I guess this is her nature. When I head her off in the hallway or rush upstairs to scoop her up and return her to the kitchen, she seems highly offended. Each time her house tour is aborted, she will stand momentarily in the kitchen, straighten her back and then walk slowly with offended dignity straight out the door without even a backward glance.

The other characteristic I've noticed, besides her quick movements and intelligence, is a constant awareness of security. When I carried her into the room next to the kitchen and put her down next to me on the couch, she watched me close the door to the room and immediately bolted to the screened window to identify a potential escape route. By comparison, our dogs would have been thrilled to be invited onto the couch for some quality time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment