Toucan

Toucan

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Latest News

As I write this entry, the latest news from CERN in Geneva is the possible discovery of the Higgs boson, the mysterious force which pervades the universe and gives everything its mass. It sounds to me like Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars saying the Force is everywhere and "May the Force be with you!" Maybe it is the "God" particle after all.

On a more mundane level, I have been following the stories about the dozens of wildfires raging throughout the western US and the hundreds of homes and many thousands of acres of land burned to the ground. I've been curious whether people who have helplessly watched their homes turn into ashes could have bought fire insurance as part of their homeowner's policies to protect themselves. The news stories have not covered this point, so I did some research on my own. I learned that, unlike flood insurance, which is often hard to obtain in vulnerable areas, fire insurance is generally available. However, when it comes time to file a claim, people are finding that the insurance companies are paying out only about one-third of the actual cost of rebuilding homes. This is occurring even where policies for full replacement cost may have been issued. Part of the problem is that agents have been selling policies with inadequate coverage to keep premiums low and competitive.

On a less serious note, I have been reading about writer Nora Ephron in recent obituaries and her desire to have a hot dog from Nate 'n Al's Deli in Beverly Hills as her last meal. As a fellow lover of hot dogs, I can easily understand her choice. My last meal would also be from a deli, but I would use the occasion to revisit Katz's Deli in NYC and order a lean pastrami sandwich on rye with Dijon mustard, half sour pickles, a side of French fries, and a Dr. Brown's cream soda. I certainly agree with her to eat your last meal soon while you're still healthy and can enjoy it.

My final subject is considering who will succeed Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State now that she has announced her intention to step down after the November elections. So far there has not been much speculation on this point. It must be someone of stature who is actually qualified to do this important job, although Obama (assuming, as I do, that he wins reelection) will continue to make final foreign policy decisions on his own. Second, it must be someone that the Republicans in the Senate can approve and live with. Finally, there must be trust and good chemistry between the Secretary and his President. I think Obama will select long-time Senator and former Senate colleague John Kerry (D,MA) for the job. Kerry of course ran for President unsuccessfully against George Buch and is currently Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Obama has chosen Kerry to play Mitt Romney in his upcoming practice presidential debates and has also previously sent Kerry on several sensitive diplomatic missions, which were successful. I think Kerry will be the choice in a small candidate field.

No comments:

Post a Comment