Toucan

Toucan

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cat Mystery Solved

I am DELIGHTED to report that the cat mystery going on in our backyard has been solved! The small and lovable black cat with yellow eyes that has been living in our backyard actually belongs to our next door neighbor. She has been away visiting her son in Los Angeles, and hired someone to take care of her three dogs in her absence. The black cat preferred our company to the temporary live-in sitter, so moved over the tall wooden fence separating our properties to stay with us.

I finally got this story by calling my neighbor on the phone. After a few questions about her feline pets, it quickly became clear that Medea was staying nearly full time in our yard and returning for meals. I first considered this possibility when I overheard my neighbor addressing no one visible with great excitement in her backyard a couple of nights ago, about being so glad to see her again.

Medea's story is that she was a stray when my neighbor originally found her, and the cat retains her interest in roaming and staying outside as much as possible, except in winter. My neighbor provides food, medical care, and love. I assured her that Medea, as well as her big gray cat who also occasionally visits us, were welcome any time.

I was greatly relieved by this turn of events. I had been looking ahead to the cold weather coming up, and the prospect of adopting the cat against our will because we couldn't imagine letting the cat freeze to death outside. Instead, we can be close relatives without any responsibilities. If this is some version of what it's like to be a grandparent, I'll going to have a happy time someday.

I have been somewhat surprised by my positive reaction to having a cat as a potential pet. Heretofore, my wife and I were strictly dog people who would never consider a cat as a pet. But my experience with Medea has changed my attitude. I still prefer dogs, but I begin to see the appeal of cats as a runner-up. They are intelligent, quiet, very graceful, and affectionate.

I now keep our kitchen door open more often, looking in the backyard for Medea to return for a visit. I am relieved to know she has a very good home next door, and am careful not to feed her so her loyalties stay next door where they belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment