Toucan

Toucan

Thursday, August 2, 2012

NYC Foods

I read with great interest a full page article with photos written by Mimi Sheraton, a former food critic at The New York Times, in the Food Section of yesterday's Times. Not only did she discuss in detail the "true New York classics", as she called them, but she analyzed the factors which made them great and listed the best places to find them.

Her article covered the following categories: hot dogs, cheesecake, bagels, Jewish rye bread, pastrami, pizza, Manhattan clam chowder, and bialys. The first six of these categories are my favorites. In fact, readers of this blog may recall a recent entry in which I say that my last meal would be a pastrami sandwich on Jewish rye at Katz's, one of the selections in the article. The only thoughts I would add to her excellent discussion involve ambience and accompaniments. By that I mean that it adds to the experience to eat your deli at a place like Katz's on Manhattan's Lower East Side or your chowder at a seaside restaurant in Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay, rather than having takeout or delivery. Also, when I have a pastrami sandwich on rye, I want Dijon mustard, a side of French fries, and an ice cold bottle of Dr. Brown's cream soda with it. Some may disagree, but I also think mustard and sauerkraut on a lightly toasted bun are essential for a Nathan's or Hebrew National hotdog.

I have eaten at almost every place she cites in her article as the best places for these foods, and can attest to the excellence of her choices. Those I have missed can expect to see me in the future. Some of these places evoke fond memories for me. For example, Nathan's was always the final destination for my bike rides down Ocean Parkway or visits to Brighton Beach while growing up in Brooklyn. The Bagel Hole in Park Slope is a few blocks from our present home, and we sometimes enjoy their regular egg or pumpernickel bagels on weekends. One of the Orwasher Bakery sons is a close friend, and we have enjoyed their products for years. Similarly, years ago I used to go to the Original Ray's Pizza in Greenwich Village and wait in a line stretching around the block for a slice. I'm glad to learn from the article that Ray is back at the same location with a new name.

For reasons I have never understood, it is difficult to find many places outside New York City able to produce these products with the same high quality. Personally, I wish I could eat these foods all the time but, except for the bagels and bread, I guess I won't get to see my sons grow up if I did so.








No comments:

Post a Comment