Toucan

Toucan

Friday, August 24, 2012

Hurricane Isaac

I'm rooting for Hurricane Isaac. I hope it builds up as the meteorologists and their tracking computers project and hits the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa, FL starting on Monday. In my humble opinion, the Republicans deserve it.

Normally, I would not wish a hurricane or even a tropical depression on anyone. Even in this case, I hope it doesn't cause physical injury or result in serious property damage. I do, however, hope it causes massive disruption of the Convention. I feel this way not because I am a life-long Democrat, but because the Republicans have become so sanctimonious and convinced that God is behind their movement that it is a pleasure to contemplate what God may really think about them.

I wonder whether any of the evangelicals or other factions of the Republican Party who regularly assert that they are carrying out God's will are pondering the implications of this impending storm. Do they consider, even fleetingly, that it may mean that God disapproves of them? In olden days, such a celestial demonstration would surely have been interpreted to mean divine disapproval. Consider the fate of Pharoah's chariots at the Red Sea or humanity's fate after Noah completed his Ark as indications of what God can readily accomplish with wind and water when He is displeased.

Besides their policies, which favor the rich over the poor and middle class, I am appalled by the Republican ticket's outright lying and twisting of the truth. Presenting themselves as the defenders of Medicare and claiming the President cut over $700 billion from the program are just the latest in a long series of deceptions to win votes. I have lost all respect for Messrs. Romney and Ryan, not only because people in their positions should not lie to the voters, but because in a democracy with only two parties their lack of credibility deprives the electorate of a meaningful debate of the issues.

Despite all their hundreds of millions in funding, Isaac threatens to lay them low in short order. I look at Isaac's projected course on my TV screen, which reminds me of the arc which a bowling ball traces to its target, and think this event might make these privileged Republicans recognize what it's like to be doing well one minute and to lose it all the next due to unexpected illness or economic downturn. Maybe God does follow our elections after all and has simply decided to shut that whole thing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment